In the 17th century (1673-1675), Our Lord Jesus Christ appeared to St. Margaret Mary Alacoque and gave 12 promises to those who would devote themselves to His Sacred Heart.
These apparitions were approved by the Catholic Church, and actually form the basis for the devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, which we celebrate every Friday (particularly First Friday, and on the Feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus).
Truly, if we have a devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, our lives will be transformed so much for the better!
Here are the 12 promises of Our Lord:
- I will give them all the graces necessary in their state of life.
- I will establish peace in their homes.
- I will comfort them in all their afflictions.
- I will be their secure refuge during life, and above all, in death.
- I will bestow abundant blessings upon all their undertakings.
- Sinners will find in My Heart the source and infinite ocean of mercy.
- Lukewarm souls shall become fervent.
- Fervent souls shall quickly mount to high perfection.
- I will bless every place in which an image of My Heart is exposed and honored.
- I will give to priests the gift of touching the most hardened hearts.
- Those who shall promote this devotion shall have their names written in My Heart.
- I promise you in the excessive mercy of My Heart that My all powerful love will grant to all those who receive Holy Communion on the First Fridays in nine consecutive months the grace of final perseverance; they shall not die in My disgrace, nor without receiving their sacraments. My divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment.